Ok, are you saying that because of the kernel that I'm using now that
the network modules aren't loading properly?  I'm guessing that isn't
so.  From what I'm reading, should you be providing an image that does
IPSEC through a registered IP (current one) and private IP (what most
home LRP users are doing now).  While I'm at it, I thought I spotted
some things that needed correcting in your document.

-------------------------------
ESP (protocol 50) is called as "transport" mode and is used for
Host-to-Host
connections. AH (protocol 51) is called as "tunnel" mode and is used for
any connection that connects to a Subnet. Tunnel mode is the only method
that will work through NAT.               ^^^^^^

Shouldn't that be Transport rather than tunnel?

4) FIREWALL PASS-THROUGH

This type of connection is very often the most confusing. This is used
where a remote computer behind a firewall connects to a remote network
or computer. The firewall is configured to allow the connection, but
does not participate or authenticate.

To setup this type of connection:
        1) open the protocols 50 and 51 on your firewall
        2) open port 500 on your firewall
        3) load the ip_masq_ipsec.o module and add it to /etc/modules
                                                       ^^^^

I think this should be /lib/modules.