Ping,

To help get your configuration working correctly sooner, could you
please follow the "SR" Link at the bottom of this post and send
a ANSII diagram and complete description of exactly what you
are trying to setup? I'm wondering if some terminology confusion
is going on here and this information would expediate a better
answer to your problem for those of us working the mailing list.
~Thanks (more comments inline).

On Thursday 27 June 2002 11:02, Ping Kwong wrote:
> Ok, are you saying that because of the kernel that I'm using now that
> the network modules aren't loading properly?  'm guessing that isn't
> so.

I really don't know. Other than stripping some stock modules from
Dachstein Floppy v1.0.2, none of the modules package and utilities
have been modified. IPSec-passthrough is where the firewall does
nothing but allow an IPSec connection through the firewall.... the
firewall does no processing of the packet other than route. Thus
a non-IPSec patched kernel is necessary.... like the standard
Dachstein floppy image.

> From what I'm reading, should you be providing an image that
> does IPSEC through a registered IP (current one) and private IP (what
> most home LRP users are doing now).  While I'm at it, I thought I
> spotted some things that needed correcting in your document.

Yes, it processes (encrypts) the information from a regular TCP/IP
LAN network and sends it to a remote Host or IPSec gateway and
the opposite for information being sent via IPSec from a remote
Host or gateway. All setup and authentication is being done on the
Gateway (firewall), not through an IPSec-client behind the firewall
(which would be pass-through).

> -------------------------------
> ESP (protocol 50) is called as "transport" mode and is used for
> Host-to-Host
> connections. AH (protocol 51) is called as "tunnel" mode and is used
> for any connection that connects to a Subnet. Tunnel mode is the only
> method that will work through NAT.               ^^^^^^
>
> Shouldn't that be Transport rather than tunnel?

If you use Transport on a IPSec Gateway, none of the computers behind
the Gateway can use the VPN connection... only the Gateway itself.
The Gateway would be acting as a stand-alone Host, instead of a
Gateway with this connection type. This is what you would configure
on a Road-Warrior computer (remote Laptop or home box to connect
to a work network).

The tunnel method allows NAT'ed clients behind the Gateway to
participate in the tunnel, but the Gateway cannot send information
through the tunnel (which is what a gateway does).

Maybe I should change the "through NAT." to "with a NAT'ed subnet."

> 4) FIREWALL PASS-THROUGH
>
> This type of connection is very often the most confusing. This is
> used where a remote computer behind a firewall connects to a remote
> network or computer. The firewall is configured to allow the
> connection, but does not participate or authenticate.
>
> To setup this type of connection:
>       1) open the protocols 50 and 51 on your firewall
>       2) open port 500 on your firewall
>       3) load the ip_masq_ipsec.o module and add it to /etc/modules
>                                                        ^^^^
>
> I think this should be /lib/modules.

On LEAF 2.2.x releases, the ip_masq_ipsec.o module is already included
in the stock images (sans the releases with IPSec-patched kernels that
the module wouldn't work with anyway). All you need to do to get IPSec-
passthrough working with these stock images is declare the module in
/etc/modules to load it at boot.

--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!