Rob

I think someone else already mentioned it, but the latest version of syslinux
I can get to work on my system (64MB compactflash on a 33MHz 486 / 16MB RAM)
is 1.48. If I use anything after then, I get the "Unable to lock drive for
exclusive access" message as well. I always assumed that it was to do with
the age of my BIOS.

The other thing that happened to me was I used linux fdisk to create two
partitions and forgot to make one active.

I also used fdisk /mbr from a dos boot disk to clear the master boot record
before using lock c:  syslinux -s c: The box I was using had been running
smoothwall prior to this.

Also, there's two references to hda1 in syslinux.cfg on the same line, right?
boot=/dev/hda1:msdos PKGPATH=/dev/hda1. Just checking - I suspect you've done
both.

Darren