OK, so do I feel stupid.  I guess that in all of the re-attempts, I got my
syslinux.cfg files mixed up and was booting from CF, but immediately pointing to
/dev/fd0u1680 for everything.  So, now I have the following excerpt from my bootup:

Using /boot/lib/modules/ide-mod.o
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
Using /boot/lib/modules/ide-disk.o
Using /boot/lib/modules/ide-probe-mod.o
hda: Hitachi CVM2.1.0, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Mounting a 16M TMPFS filesystem...
hda: 250368 sectors (128 MB) w/1KiB Cache, CHS=978/8/32
Partition check:
 hda: hda1
 hda: hda1
 hda: hda1

VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
LINUXRC: Installing -  root: /dev/hda1  etc: /dev/hda1  local: /dev/hda1  modules:
/dev/hda1  shorwall: /dev/hda1  weblet: /dev/hda1 - Finished.

Does the "Partition check:" look right?  Should it have "hda: hda1" three times in
succession?  Should VFS report that there were "busy inodes on changed media"?  Thanks
for all of the support to date!!!

Rob