> CONFIG_DNS = NO
> is already set in lrcfg (network.conf)
> and via DHCP, the lan computers get 192.168.1.254 as the DNS server.
> (there is no seconday, however.)
>
> I checked these things --- that is why I am stumped.

If DNSCache is running, you should be getting DNS service to your local
workstations.  If DNS is still not working (and it sounds like it
isn't), then either DNSCache is mis-configured, or DNSCache cannot
properly talk to the internet (possibly firewall rules on Dachstein,
filtering by your ISP, or ???).

If you're using an "out of the box" Dachstein release, and your ISP
doesn't assign you a private IP, everything *should* work fine.  Since
you're having problems, you can either:

- Configure DNSCache to do forward-only queries to your ISP (should help
if your ISP is blocking DNS queries for some reason)

- Setup your internal machines to use your ISP's DNS servers (edit your
dhcpd.conf file and switch the name-server entries), bypassing DNSCache
entirely

- Start crawling around with nslookup, dig, host, and other DNS
debugging tools and try to find the problem.

NOTE:  If you re-worked *ANY* of the default configuation (ie
re-numbered networks or similar), DNSCache could simply be
mis-configured for your new environment...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net