This _is_ your problem.

"Dr. Richard W. Tibbs" wrote:

> /etc/resolv.conf contains:
>
> search cablenet-va.com         /* correct, this is the DNS suffix that
> shows up when I connect windoze directly to cable modem*/
> IP filters:firewall[IP Forwarding: ENABLED]
> meserver 208.197.246.194   /* correct, this is second DNS server that
> windoze gets via direct connect*/

Removing comments, please, verify that this is actually the exhaustive
content of your /etc/resolv.conf:

        search cablenet-va.com
        IP filters:firewall[IP Forwarding: ENABLED]
        meserver 208.197.246.194

[1] Whence comes line #2?  It will *not* work in this file and may
render useless whatever comes after this line.

[2] Perhaps a typo; but, `meserver' should be `nameserver'

[3] Look here:

        <http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/jnilo/dnscache5.html#AEN280>

[4] Look closely at the third (3) and fourth (4) black background
graphics.

[5] I cannot remember whether or not you can get away with this:

        search cablenet-va.com

    I suspect that you ought to change this to something like:

        search private.network

[6] However, to use dnscache, you will need to do this:

        nameserver 192.1687.1.254

    Or, whatever is your dcd firewall internal address.

hth

[ snip ]

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .