[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I tried to post a request for help including all of the stuff the FAQ said
> I should include, and it was rejected for being too big (>64k).

You can include all of that information in the body of your next post.

> Here is
> my problem in a nutshell:
> I am a student, working for a small museum.  Halfway through the summer,
> they decided to get a T1, and setting it up fell to me.
> The ISP's router was installed yesterday, and I've been working on setting
> up a Dacshtein LEAF firewall for some time.
> It has two NICs, both of which are properly initialized by their own
> specific modules (which were both included, thankfully).
> It communicates flawlessly with the internal network, and all the internal
> computers are set up properly to use it as the default gateway.
> Unfortunately, the firewalling rules seem to be blocking all outbound
> traffic (I get ping error type 3 -- "ping: sendto: Operation not
> permitted")
> I can't ping, or, it seems, otherwise communicate with, our ISP's on site
> router, or anything beyond it on the net.
> I just need a simple setup to allow the basic, most common services
> through the firewall (email, web,...).  I thought the configs would
> default to something like this, but that is apparently not the case, and I
> am very stuck.
> If any one is inclined to help, and wants more information, just ask, and
> I'll send it out ASAP.  The staff of the National Ornamental Metal Museum
> (Memphis, TN) would be most grateful for any assistance - we've been
> email-less for three days!
> Thanks for reading!

My first questions are:

[1] How is the router setup?  What are the ip, network, mask, &c. for
its internal interface, to which you're connecting Dachstein?

[2] What are the ip, network, mask, &c. for your Dachstein external
interface, to which you're connecting the router?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .