The ping error you are getting usually means a problem with the firewall
rules. Since you found yourself unable to post configuration details, I
can't say what the specific problem is.

One *guess* is that your ISP uses private-addresses (NAT'ing them upstream
of you for Internet access), and the firewalling built into Dachstein
blocks traffic to/from those addresses on the external interface. Your
reference to your "ISP's onsite router" makes me think this is a good *guess*.

If that is it, either insert a rule that ACCEPTs traffic on the relevant
network (you can do this by hand for a test, then add it to, I think,
/etc/network_direct.conf to automate it later) or switch to a drop-in
firewall package (e.g., EchoWall) that checks the external network and
ACCEPTs traffic to/from it automatically.

The rule for hand insertion is (approximately - this is from memory)

         ipchains -I input 1 -d exte.rnal.net.work/netmask -b -j ACCEPT

(I think Dachstein's built-in ruleset relies on the INPUT chain for
private-address filtering, but you *may* need similar rules inserted into
the forward and output chains too. Oh, of course, you need to replace
exte.rnal.net.work/netmask above with the real values for your setup.)

All this is only a guess, though. To comment more definitely, we need
*some* configuration info. It's likely the firewall ruleset that put you
over the top, so try just posting

         output of "ip addr show"
         output of "netstat -nr"

--