Try these... (the default is 'show')
ip addr
ip route
ip link
ip help
ip addr help
etc... I know the help is not easy, but it's all there

I bring up my interfaces something like this...

# first bring everything down...
d=`ip -o link show | cut -d: -f2`
for i in $d ; do
        ip addr flush $i
        ip link set $i down
done

# then bring up each interface like so...
ip link set lo up
ip link set eth0 up
ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8         label lo        dev lo
ip addr add 192.168.0.1/24      label eth0      dev eth0
ip route add 0/0                via 12.34.56.78         table main # use your GW

Not sure how to ppp/chat with the ip command.

// George

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 04:18:51PM +0200, Erich Titl wrote:
>Craig
>
>IIRC Dachstein by default does not have ifconfig but the iproute2 command
>suite, e.g. you have to use ip.
>There is a ifconfig.lrp module at
>http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/cstein/Packages/ifconfig.htm
>
>HTH
>
>Erich
>
>At 16:04 29.07.2002, you wrote:
>>Hi everyone,
>>How do I, or I should say, WHERE do I run the ifconfig command from???
>>I've tried just logging in to Dachstein, and changing to the sbin
>>directory and nothing works. Hmmph, I'm stumped! Thank you, have a great
>>week.
>>
>>Craig

>THINK
>Püntenstrasse 39
>8143 Stallikon
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024  8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16

GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
File, Print, DB and DNS Servers.       http://www.galis.org/george