On Monday 12 August 2002 07:22, lbilyeu wrote:

> I've tried editing shorewall to use each of them as the external
> interface to make sure it wasn't a card specific problem.
> Firewall's internal eth always works, I can always ping the numerical
> address of the firewall from internal machines. And I can always
> reach weblet.

Is it possibly a duplex mis-match??

> ---They all passed the diagnostics from RealTek   rtl8019.exe   when
> booted from a DOS floppy.
> ---They are all set to jumpered mode (not PNP) and physically set the
> jumpers.
>
> quoting guitarLynn  "What exact model/make card are you using.... a
> lot of "compatible"
> cards aren't even compatible at all. "
> --Each of them has the Novell YES logo silk-screened onto the NIC's
> board.

Well, it does sound like they are actual rtl8019's, however I've
personally had IBM Ethernet Express' cards with the Novell logo that
do *not* run with the ne.o module in *NIX. There are a lot of cards
that fit this description and *NIX can be very particular.

> "you will also need
> to load the "mii" module as well."
> ---These are ISA rtl8019 cards. I've never heard of needing mii.o
> ---Is it something new?

It is in the 2.4.x kernel modules. RH and others may "auto-load" it,
however Bering does not.

> As to what make & Model,
> --- one of them is a Farallon 8019,
> the other two weren't proud enough to put their names on the board.
> I assume they were relying on the NovellYES logo.

I've had mixed results with Farallon cards, but most of them have been
3com chipsets. I've got a Farallon 2 port 3c509 card that will only work
with one port in Linux or the 3com utility (I would love to get it to
both....any suggestions?). I wouldn't trust the Novell logo... as I said
earlier, Novell's driver seems to cover a lot more cards than the *NIX
drivers do.

> I'll pull the machine apart & get more identifiers from the cards
> later tonight.

Great! In any case, it sounds as if the WAN NIC ISP connection is
attempting to run full-duplex (possibly... through rare) and most ne.o
cards will not run full-duplex unless they use a different chipset like
the IBM cards do. It's real hard to get info on Farallon cards since
they sold the company and dropped the older NIC lines, hopefully
the other cards will be easier!
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!