Hello all,

I am in the process of making a 4 month move, that involves staying with my
sister-in-law. As such, I had to pack my Dachstein firewall, and I am now
using a Linksys router/Wireless AP. What I have always envisioned as a Web
Admin tool, would be something of the nature that they use. Simple pages to
setup the interfaces, rules, forwarding, etc. All the stuff that I really
need to edit regularly. I feel that the options that are available with the
linksys are really lacking when compared to Leaf.

One of the reasons I have been playing with this idea, is that I want to do
a case mod for my new firewall box: CD, NICs, floppy, scaled back PS, etc. I
would then like to place it in a wiring closet and manage it from a web
page. I realize that my current process of using putty and ssh work well for
me, but is scares off all of my friends that I am trying to convert to leaf.

I personally don't mind the size factor of the package, as I have already
added custom packages to my Dachstein ISO image that I burn to CD. For this
and other reasons, I am also looking at compiling and creating a larger
Apache package with PHP.

One thing the currently concerns me with this process (the way I see it
anyways), is that you will either have to scrap the current scripts (or
modify them), like the network config script, or write a routine to parse
the configuration information and then write it back to file without
breaking it. I personally think that curent files provided by Charles and
others for Dachstein are excellent when using CLI, as they provide options
for doing your configuration this way, or that way; but the thought of
parsing them leaves me sleepless at night. It would almost be better is each
of the configuation option sections stored the actual config in separate
files. ie, basic port forwarding rules in a file, advanced port forwarding
rules in another file, allow chains in another files, deny chains in
another, etc. These files would contain contain just the rules or options,
and the network config file could then parse these files to apply the
options. ie. basic port forwarding file would look like,

#INTERN_FTP_SERVER=192.168.1.1  # Internal FTP server to make available
#INTERN_WWW_SERVER=192.168.1.1  # Internal WWW server to make available
#INTERN_SMTP_SERVER=192.168.1.1 # Internal SMTP server to make available
#INTERN_POP3_SERVER=192.168.1.1 # Internal POP3 server to make available
#INTERN_IMAP_SERVER=192.168.1.1 # Internal IMAP server to make available
#INTERN_SSH_SERVER=192.168.1.1  # Internal SSH server to make available

And the advanced port forwarding would then look like:

#INTERN_SERVER0="-a -P PROTO -L LADDR LPORT -R RADDR RPORT [-p PREF]"
#INTERN_SERVER1=""

If the actual config options are broken out, then I could easily have a page
that parses the file, displays them on a page, and then write the whole file
back out.

Just my $0.02. I think the idea is valid, and I would use it, if for no
other reason, to show others that is can be easy, and you don't have to know
alot of linux.

Cheers
edt

Edward Tetz