> I have an old laptop that is running Linux that I'd rather not invest in a
> pc-nic for it, but I do have a null modem serial cable to connect to the LRP
> box.  Is there a way to get an IP over the serial line.  Similar to using a
> modem I would think?  Or is this something that has not been done.  And to
> take it a step further, how difficult would it be to setup a modem to accept
> a connect within a Dachstein/LEAF enviroment.
>
> Just something I was thinking of this weekend...

It has been done before.  If it helps, I wrote a ppp server howto awhile
ago for actual dialups - I think it is on Charles' site.  You will not
need all the password setup instructions, obviously.  Basically you'll
use PPP over the null modem cable to connect the two machines.  For the
Dachstein release, you will need to use Charles' "Normal" kernel vs the
"Small" kernel to get serial support.
        Good Luck,
        Jon