Kyle,

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:43:41 +0530 S Mohan wrote:

> Maybe mii.o is not loaded ahead of rtl8139.o. insmod mii first and then
> insmod rtl8139. Then check if modules are loaded using lsmod.

After Mohan's comments I did some more digging...

It appears rtl8139 was available in 2.2 kernels and has been
replaced by 8139too.  Sorry about misleading you with the
"use whatever module the other distro uses" advice.

I checked the source, and it does appear to be dependent on
mii.c.  As Mohan suggested, you'll want to run

  insmod /lib/modules/mii.o

followed by

  insmod /lib/modules/8139too.o

Hope that does it for you.  If it works, be sure to backup
modules.lrp after you adjust /etc/modules .

--Brad