Warren,

Disclaimer:  I'm a bit rusty with Dachstein.  I may have missed
something in my description below.  Hopefully someone will correct
me if I get too far offtrack.  Remainder inline...

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:56:39 CST Warren Post wrote:

> Brad Fritz wrote:
>
>  > I would strongly suggest, if you haven't already, that you set
>  > your firewall rules to only allow ssh connections from trusted
>  > hosts or networks.  (Doing so is a good idea anyway.)
>
> Good idea. I've taken a look at /etc/ipfilter.conf, which is where I
> assume this setting should be made. Although the file is liberally
> commented, I'm such a newbie that I'm still at a loss as to what exactly
> I should add or modify to disallow ssh connections from outside our LAN.

Actually /etc/network.conf has everything you need for the task.
I use the EXTERN_TCP_PORT__N__ entries (where __N__ is an integer)
like so:

  EXTERN_TCP_PORT0="1.2.3.4 ssh"
  EXTERN_TCP_PORT1="2.3.4.5/29 ssh"

to allow traffic from trusted host 1.2.3.4 and trusted network
2.3.4.5/29 .

The EXTERN_TCP_PORTS entry equivalent is

  EXTERN_TCP_PORTS="1.2.3.4_ssh 2.3.4.5/29_ssh"

If memory serves, you can only use the numbered form (top) or
the space-delimited form (bottom), but not both.

> Can someone point me to a newbie friendly howto or similar where I can
> learn how to do this?

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/packages/network.txt is probably
a good place to start.  Old archives of leaf-user[1] might be
another good place to look.  I'm probably forgetting other good
resources.  Hopefully someone will fill in any gaps I leave.

--Brad

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/leaf-user%40lists.sourceforge.net/