From: Charles Steinkuehler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 9:00 PM
To: Kyle A. Holder; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Dachstein NIC Card Conflicts

> P166/32 RAM
> Dachstein (Kernel 2.2.19-3-LEAF)
> Eth0:  Intel PRO/100+ Management (PCI)
> Eth1:  3COM 3C509B-TPO (ISA)
>
> Loaded modules on startup:
>
> pci-scan.o
> 8390.o
> eepro100.o
>
> 3c509.o
>
> All modules load correctly, and self-test correctly.  However, the
network
> cards conflict with each other.
<snip>

First off, why are you loading the 8390 driver?  That's not needed by
either the eepro100 or the 3c509 driver, and while it shouldn't be
causing any problems, you never know...

Second, what I/O port and IRQ are you assigning the 3c509 card?  Did you
make sure to flag the IRQ as "used by ISA card" in the BIOS, so it won't
get assigned to a PCI slot?  Most Pentium systems of this era had some
mechanism to register IRQ's used by ISA cards with the BIOS so they
wouldn't be assigned to PCI slots...some would even allow you to
manually assign IRQ's to particular PCI slots, which may be required in
your situation.

Also, pay particular attention to the messages output by the drivers
when loaded (regarding I/O space & IRQ mapping), and you might want to
check out /proc/interrupts, /proc/ioports, and /proc/pci, looking for
potential conflicts...

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net