On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:25:12 -0400 Karl Poglitsch wrote:

> FYI - I posted about 3 months back witn a problem I had with extreme
> slowdown when I was going through the Dachstein firewall.  I've since been
> able to figure out it was the 3Com cards I was using.  I was using PCI 3C905
> cards.  Switched out to Intel cards and I'm running full speed, NO other
> changes except for the required modules for the right NIC cards.  I'm
> staying away from 3Com cards from now on.

I use 3c509's (same as Kyle) in almost all the firewalls I build.
The first thing I do to every one is run the 3c5x9cfg.exe utility
to manually set the I/O ports and IRQs to non-conflicting values.
I haven't had a single problem with any of them (with over 20
3c509s currently in service).

While I don't know much about the 905s or the quality of the linux
drivers for them, it seems a bit unfair to give all 3com cards a
bad wrap without identifying the root cause of the problem you were
experiencing.  Just my $0.02 or less.

--Brad