At 11:51 PM 10/4/02 -0400, Bob Skaroff comcast.net wrote:
>I'm running Dachstein linux 4.0.6 with private.network at 192.168.1 and
>dmz.network at 192.168.2.
>The web server on dmz.network can be reached from the net.

"the" net? Do you mean the Internet? If so, this is inconsistent with my
tests; I get no response from www.skaroffandskaroff.com, which I assume
(from the e-mail example you included) is the right FQN.

So, combining that with my noticing that you use DHCP externally, the
natural first question to ask is if the FQNs www.skaroffandskaroff.com and
skaroffandskaroff.com are resolving to the right address. I can ping both,
and ping reports the IP address as

         skaroffandskaroff.com (68.80.68.190)

But that just tells me that *somebody* has a working host at that IP
address, not necessarily that *you* have one. So ...

If this address is wrong, then your problem lies somewhere in DNS. (I see
from your whois record that the domain uses MYDYNDNS; perhaps you are not
updating it properly.)

If it is right, then your problem still is (or at least seems to be) more
general than mail.

I didn't spot anything obvious in the config file you sent ... but I could
easily have missed something, since reading a config file is not (at least
for me) the best way to isolate problems. Much better would be for you to
report the standard troubleshooting "vitals" described in the SR FAQ listed
at the end of all leaf-user list messages.

>Mail sent to the mail server on dmz.network returns an error message to the
>sender.
>I've tried varying the coding of the DMZ_OPEN_DEST and DMZ_SERVER parameters
>in network.conf without success.
>I've been assuming that it is a network.conf issue because I can send mail
>from private.network to dmz.network and
>I had successfully set up a mail server on private.network
>(INTERNAL_SMTP_SERVER parm).
>I tore it down prior to trying to move it to dmz.
>My network.conf parameters and  email error messages follow.
>Bob
[details deleted]