> Thanks for responding, Ray.
> I have added the diagnostic info described at leaf support.

A couple of comments...I think your main problem is you're not allowing
the mail packets through the input firewall rules.  Since you're using a
PRIVATE DMZ, and port-forwarding your external firewall IP to the DMZ
system, you need to use EXTERN_TCP_PORTS (or the EXTERN_TCP_PORTx
indexed list) to open the desired services, ie:

EXTERN_TCP_PORTS="0/0_smtp"

> I'm running Dachstein linux 4.0.6 with private.network at 192.168.1
and
> dmz.network at 192.168.2.
> The web server on dmz.network can be reached from the net.
> Mail sent to the mail server on dmz.network returns an error message
to the
> sender.
> I've tried varying the coding of the DMZ_OPEN_DEST and DMZ_SERVER
parameters
> in network.conf without success.

These two settings do *NOT* affect PRIVATE DMZ's...they are only for the
other DMZ flavors (DMZ = YES, PROXY, or NAT).

I doubt they're causing any harm (didn't look that way from the ipchains
dump, but I'd comment them out, along with the DMZ_SRC variable which is
also not used for PRIVATE DMZ's.

<snip>

> /var/log/messages is 900 lines like this
>
> Oct  5 20:22:43 myrouter kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=17
> 10.93.176.1:67 255.255.255.255:68 L=362 S=0x00 I=53087 F=0x0000 T=255
(#8)

> if you could tell me how to suppress these messages, I would
appreciate that
> also

Use SILENT_DENY:
SILENT_DENY="17_10.93.176.1_68"

Make sure this isn't your ISP's DHCP server first, however!

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net