As I look through the firewall ruleset ... the input chain specifically ...
I don't see a rule to ACCEPT port-25 traffic. Nor do I see one to ACCEPT
port-80 traffic (but you did say the Web server worked, didn't you?).

WIth that as a hint, I *think* I've spotted the error in the config file.
It is here:

         DMZ_OPEN_DEST=" udp_${DMZ_NET}_domain
                 tcp_${DMZ_NET}_domain
                 tcp_${DMZ_NET}_www
                 tcp_${DMZ_NET}_smtp"

Now first a word of caution ... I'm probably the worst shell scripter in
the LEAF crowd, so I may be reading this wrong ... but since newline is the
line delimiter for shell scripts, you shouldn't try to spread this variable
over several lines without using the continue (\) character. Even that
might not work, since the text is quoted ...  but it *might* work, even
with cuotes, since apparently it works with the backtick, as here:

         EXTERN_IP=`ip addr list label $EXTERN_IF | \
                 grep inet | sed '1!d' | \
                 sed 's/^[^.0-9]*\([.0-9]*\).*$/\1/'`

In any case, as written, this line looks like trouble to me, and I do note
that only the first of the four entries here manages to generate an ACCEPT
rule in the input chain. Try putting all of this on one line and see if
that fixes your problem.

At 09:04 PM 10/5/02 -0400, Bob Skaroff comcast.net wrote:
>Thanks for responding, Ray.
>I have added the diagnostic info described at leaf support.
>
>I'm running Dachstein linux 4.0.6 with private.network at 192.168.1 and
>dmz.network at 192.168.2.
>The web server on dmz.network can be reached from the net.
>Mail sent to the mail server on dmz.network returns an error message to the
>sender.
>I've tried varying the coding of the DMZ_OPEN_DEST and DMZ_SERVER parameters
>in network.conf without success.
[details deleted]