Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> dnscache?

> of
> as a
> answers

> dmz

> problem . .
> > >
> > > You may want to give us information about your resolv.conf file on
> the
> > > failing DMZ machine, then try to debug with nslookup or the more
> recent
> > > bind tools (dig, hosts...).
> >
> > This does *not* work:
> >
> > nameserver 64.4.197.65
> > search PlatinumAire.net
> >
> > This does work:
> >
> > nameserver 64.4.197.65
> > nameserver 207.7.4.66
> > nameserver 207.7.4.67
> > nameserver 207.112.196.69
> > nameserver 206.54.244.3
> > nameserver 206.54.244.2
> > search PlatinumAire.net
> >
> > Remember, 64.4.197.65 resolves the tinydns-public domain
> > (PlatinumAire.net) properly; but, will not goto dnscache to resolve
> > remote domains . . .
>
> You have to point the DMZ systems at the IP of dnscache, *NOT* tinydns,
> as tinydns does not do recursive queries.  I think that's the root of
> your problem.  Switch the IP in your non-working DMZ resolv.conf to the
> IP used by hosts on your internal network, and the DMZ systems should be
> able to resolve names.
>
> NOTE:  You also need to tell dnscache it's OK to answer queries from the
> DMZ address space, if you haven't already.

Charles, yes, I understand what you're saying.  However, all of these
are running on the dcd: dnscache, tinydns-private, tinydns-public.  We
are using the stock jnilo package.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the modifications to djbdns that were made
to accommodate leaf routers may preclude dnscache responding to the
dmz.  Look here:

root@bluetrout:/root
# netstat -anp | grep dns
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
 will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53              0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      28373/dnscache
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:53
0.0.0.0:*                           28373/dnscache
udp        0      0 64.4.197.65:53
0.0.0.0:*                           28326/tinydns
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53
0.0.0.0:*                           28324/tinydns

Yes, I've set it up to listen to addresses from the dmz.

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .