At 07:24 AM 10/15/02 +0200, Jon Clausen wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 03:16:57PM -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
> > >1)... dunno what to make of that,
> >
> > Me either. Please provide the full line for the blocked packet (as you did
> > with the second example,  below), not an uninterpretable fragment. This
> > *could* just be icmp type 3, message 1 ("host unreachable"). Or it
> could be
> > something else, since you don't tell us (for example) what the PROTO=
> value
> > is..
>
>O.K. full log entry:
>Oct 14 14:46:06 skilderhus kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0 PROTO=1
>10.131.224.1:3 62.243.222.62:1 L=56 S=0x00 I=41957 F=0x0000 T=243 (#9)

OK. It's what I guessed above ... an icmp "host unreachable" message.
There's probably a secret decoder ring for this stuff online somewhere, but
I use a book. Here's the pieces:

         PROTO=1 protocol 1 is icmp
         10.131.224.1:3  10.131.224.1 is the source IP, of course;
                         the "port" is the icmp message type, 3=Destination
unreachable
         62.243.222.62:1 62.243.222.62 is the destination IP, as usual;
                         the "port" is the icmp message code, 1=host
unreachable

Without seeing the content of the packet (which does not get logged), we
have no way to know what host this is about. If there is some IP address
(or block of them) you are having trouble reaching, this may be why. Or,
since the source address is a private address, it may be that someone has
his internal network misconfigured in a somewhat bizarre fashion, and you
are getting icmp packets that are replying to someone else's connection
attempts. Or (let's be paranoid for a moment) someone else is spoofing your
external IP address as the source of some packets, and you are getting the