From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:leaf-user-admin@;lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Todd
MacDougall
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 9:01 AM
To: Jon Clausen
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] How to deal with P2P-apps? [was; What's this
guy trying?]

I'm quite a bit behind on adding my 2 cents.  My first thought regarding
your ICMP messages was your local P2P apps determining if they can
connect (or are still connected) to remote (peer) workstations.  Those
damn P2P apps can be a real pain.  The combination of basic
functionality, spyware, advertising and lord knows what else, makes them
a real pain for administrators.

P2P bandwidth throttling is straight forward to capture majority of
users however P2P apps are getting much smarter however, it only takes a
one or two users to bypass your throttling mechanisms and consume a
large portion of your pipe.  Simple application throttling based port
works in most cases but the tides are turning an this won't last long in
the P2P world.  There already exists P2P apps (e.g. iMesh) which port
surf until it finds usable ports for data transmission.  The only real
way to throttle these apps (so I've read) is with more sophisticated
inspection of the packets found in commercially supported stand alone
units.  My suggestion would be to *block* apps which port surf and
*throttle* apps that don't - this way, you're not blocking all P2P
traffic rather only the P2P traffic you cannot control.  I'm sure this
tacktic will be circumvented in the near future so you'll have to stay
on top of things.  After reading all the shaping documentation I could
find I eventually went with Bering and HTB.  Lots of people use CBQ
because it is standard with most Linux distros but I was influenced from
what I read.

With regard to port usage, you'll find most of the P2P app ports on the
web.  You'll likely have to do a lot of surfing since P2P apps become
available faster than the IANA port list gets updated
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers).  I found that after
doing a couple searches on download.com, I had only a fraction of P2P
ports being monitored.  I had to download a lot of them, start them up
on my Windows machine and use netstat to determine the ports being
used.  Here is a link as a good starting point
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm

Hope some of that was useful.

Todd

Jon Clausen wrote:

> I'm not at all sure but I suspect there might be *some* connection
> between the hordes of denied icmp-messages discussed before (see quote
> below), and the fact that one of the kids on the lan is running
> "Morpheus" (a P2P filesharing app).
>
> Quick ascii reminder:
>
> Inet---Dachstein---LAN---(host running Morpheus)
>           DMZ
>        Linux server
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:15:11PM -0700, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> > At 07:24 AM 10/15/02 +0200, Jon Clausen wrote:
> > >O.K. full log entry:
> > >Oct 14 14:46:06 skilderhus kernel: Packet log: input DENY eth0
PROTO=1