OK, I received a response from Intel support services to which I am blind coping my response. Here's a summary of what has happened. Essentially, the http://www.scyld.com/network/ site has provided us with a red herring complete with a shrubbery.

This is no longer a correct statement though it was correct at one time: "* Contact Intel directly for the Linux driver for their gigabit card. They have a non-GPL driver. Because of the license conflict this driver may not be pre-linked or pre-patched into the Linux kernel."

The scyld gigabit page needs to be updated based on the following paragraph.

At one time the Intel e1000 drivers were FreeBSD licensed and could not be included in a Linux kernel because of the GPL license. e1000 code is now licensed under GPLv2. Though he did not say, the Source Forge site Brad found is probably were they run the e1000 project from now. Moreover, the code is in the 2.4.20 kernel and many of the 2.5 kernels. It was recommended that the 2.4.20-rc1 kernel be used for a driver. This version will look almost like the next release of the driver. In tribute to Halloween, there were some "scary" bugs in the prior versions of the driver.

So this driver can be compiled for 2.4 and 2.2 kernels and available for download for LEAF floppy distributions or included on a LEAF CD distribution.

Greg Morgan