>> I would like to use the qmail.lrp package for Bering in a
firewall/gateway
>> capacity only to shuffle mail from my internal mail server out and
deliver
>> external mail to the mail server.  I was wondering if the current package
>> as-is is sufficient and what configuration changes might be needed?  Any
>> help or point in the right direction would be appreciated.
>
> Or you could just wait a bit until Lince is released. We have found a
great
>alternative for smtp without needing hard disk, if you have a real smtp
>inside (your own) and outside (your isp).

smtp without disk?
hum ... what if your LEAF dies when the queue is not empty??
you end up loosing mail!

I believe there are 2 answers to the problem:
without disk:
* you should be able to add a  DNAT line in Shorewall to forward all traffic
from the Internet to
the FW:25 to your Mail server:25 inside the firewall ...  and configure
NATing to allow your Mailserver
to send mail out ( or to your ISP mail relay)

with disk:
* you can mount /dev/hdaX /var/qmail/queue in /etc/init.d/qmail start ( and
umount it in stop )
to keep your queue on disk.
The trick is to modify the /var/lib/lrp/qmail.list and qmail.exclude.list
in qmail.list replace var/qmail/queue/lock by  var/qmail/queue (you need to
create the mount point )
and add var/qmail/queue/* in exclude.list
when performing the installation the first time, you'll have to get all the
files  [ the one created dynamically
and the lock directory ] from /var/qmail/queue to the Hard Disk

of course you'll need a fs driver ( ext2/ext3?).

voila...

I think I didn't miss anything ?