Hi there:

> smtp without disk?

  Yep

> hum ... what if your LEAF dies when the queue is not empty??
> you end up loosing mail!

  Not really. OK, I will try to explain myself. Im not talking about a "real"
smtp server but a SMTP proxy. The proxy listens on port 25 for a connection
and passes it toan internal real SMTP server WITHOUT ackoledging the origin
server. When the inside server receives the email, and says everything is OK,
the proxy tells the origin server that it was OK.

  So if during the process the power goes down, as you have not acknowledge
the message yet, the origin server as not deleted it from its HD and will try
again.

  We have tested it and promise it works wonders. Actually it was quite hard
to find the solution as only 1 piece of software really acted as a proxy.

  The beauty is, you can "process" the email in the proxy and scan it for
viruses or antirelay or in the future antispam.

  Please, just be calm, we are in the middle of a big project for our company
and we havent found time to upload the iso now that we have our CVS ready
(that was just a few days ago). Also we are considering releasing just with
stable 1.0 instead of 1.0rc3 with some bugfixes that we are using). Its just
we are very high on the todo list.

> I believe there are 2 answers to the problem:
> without disk:
> * you should be able to add a  DNAT line in Shorewall to forward all
> traffic from the Internet to
> the FW:25 to your Mail server:25 inside the firewall ...  and configure
> NATing to allow your Mailserver
> to send mail out ( or to your ISP mail relay)

  Of course this solution is viable, but doesnt allow for "processing in the
firewall". Lets say you have an inside E2000 server (ugghhh) and want to
protect it from relaying email or viruses, now you have this choice.

> with disk:
> * you can mount /dev/hdaX /var/qmail/queue in /etc/init.d/qmail start ( and
> umount it in stop )
> to keep your queue on disk.
> The trick is to modify the /var/lib/lrp/qmail.list and qmail.exclude.list
> in qmail.list replace var/qmail/queue/lock by  var/qmail/queue (you need to
> create the mount point )
> and add var/qmail/queue/* in exclude.list
> when performing the installation the first time, you'll have to get all the
> files  [ the one created dynamically
> and the lock directory ] from /var/qmail/queue to the Hard Disk

  Surelly this is another option, but most of the times if the traffic
ismoderate you will be able to get by with our solution without moving parts
:)

  Regards.

--
Jaime Nebrera Herrera