Patrick,

To answer your first question about the warning
lights, if you are using a cable modem, this is normal
because of the cable modem works.  Your broadband
provider rountinely talks to your modem to determine
if it's still there.  These messages can appear as
hits.

To be sure when the firewall light is red, click on
it.  Then sort the hits by IP address.  Most of the
time you will notice that the majority of hits comes
from several machines on the same domain
123.123.xxx.xxx.  These are most likely your broadband
provider servers.  To be sure, you can look up the
owner.  I use www.arin.net.  Enter some of the
addresses in the search prompt and it should return
the owner.  Usually this appears like:

Broadband company
123.123.1.1-123.127.255.255 etc.

About your second question:  Bering 1.0-rc3 had a bug
in it where the logs were not being saved.  There are
two solutions:

1)  Jacques posted a fix on leaf.sourceforge.net under
the Bering 1.0-rc3 messages.
2)  Upgrade to a higher version of Bering. rc4 and
stable are good candidates.

About your third question:  I really don't think
anyone is erasing your log files.  But if you really
are paranoid about some accessing your firewall, you
can write-protect your floppies so that the intruder
can't really change your configuration permanently.  A
little paranoia is a healthy thing.

To get to your log files, you will need the sftp.lrp
module.  Configure it then save your changes to your
floppies.  On another machine set up a cron job to
routinely sftp into your firewall and get the logs.

Minh

Message: 11