On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I was stumbling around looking to see if I could find the information again,
> but it seems to have disappeared (or I'm not looking in the right places?)
> I was looking to find out how exactly the .lrp packages are put together,
> compressed I mean.  I ask because I "tar xvzf bridge.lrp" into a temp
> directory, then turned around & did "tar cvzf bridge2.lrp etc usr var" & it
> ended up being 274B larger than the original file...
>
> Am I missing something? I'm currently running Mandrake 8.2.

I don't usually worry about a byte here or a byte there, but for
compatibility you really should use compression level 9.

  $ cd bridge2
  $ tar c etc usr var | gzip -9 - >../bridge2.lrp
  $ cd ..

> Patrick
>
> I thought maybe I'd try to update my leaf via my development computer, but
> guess not ?

Some people do.  I find it makes more sense to change the router and use
the built-in backup anyway because I can test changes easily and it
is always ready to reboot.

DCN:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing