Craig,

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:37:12 PST Craig Caughlin wrote:

> My BIOS parallel port setting is 378/IRQ7, the "Onboard Parallel Mode"
> setting is currently set to ECP (whatever that means - my BIOS choices are:
> Manual, EPP, ECP, and ECP/EPP), and "ECP Mode Use DMA" setting is 3.

Very brief explanations of those settings are included in the
document I linked to below.  More complete explanations should
easily retrievable via google.  (I don't know offhand what all
the acronyms stand for.)  Also:

  http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/kernel.html
  http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/html/parportguide.html
  http://people.redhat.com/twaugh/parport/

will tell you more than you probably ever wanted to know about
linux parallel port support.

> This
> should mean that I wouldn't need to load the parport_pc module with the
> other parameters per your suggestion, doesn't it?

Not necessarily.  Try this sequence:

  # stop printing, remove drivers, and show irq/io state
  svi p910nd stop
  rmmod lp parport_pc parport
  cat /proc/interrupts
  cat /proc/ioports

  # insert drivers specifying irq/io, show irq/io state, start
  # print service, and test printing
  insmod parport
  insmod parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
  insmod lp
  cat /proc/interrupts
  cat /proc/ioports
  svi p910nd start
  echo "foobar" > /dev/lp0

(The SR FAQ at the bottom of this message has suggestions for
saving the output so you can easily send it to the list...that
is if you're not using ssh so  you can just copy and paste
from the terminal into your email client.)

> This is a fairly new board
> and processor (Intel 1.2 Ghz Celeron) that I assembled specifically to be my
> Bering box, so its BIOS settings are pretty flexible.

The bios settings are probably okay as-is.  You may want to
read the parport documentation linked above to find out for
sure though.  You should also verify you don't have other
devices on IRQ 7.  ("cat /proc/interrupts" should tell us
if you do.)

> I'm sorry...can you
> tell me how to issue the "cat" commands before and after the modules (I
> don't know how to do that :-(  )

I should have been more clear.  I was just asking you to
type those commands before and after you executed the
insmod commands.  See above for an example of what you
would type.

--Brad