No.  A phone number was not necessary.  Even though I've been using
Dachstein (then Bering) for 2-3 years now, I still don't get so deep into
the networking/linux thing to know and/or describe things perfectly.  With
that in mind......

I believe that I left DNS server up to DHCP Client to figure out. At first
I thought there was some sort of problem.  I could connect using my buddies
name/password in the configuration but not mine.  Turned out that it can
take Bell Canada days to get account set up.  On top of that, when the
first checked by chosen username, it was already take so my account was
disabled.  Of course you would think they would tell me!  But I had to call
in to find that out.  Once I got a new username and they set up another
account, connection was flawless.

I think my point is that the Bering PPPoE setup is good for Bell/Sympatico.
Only the username/password setup threw me a curve (ie; the two
configuration files).  And since I installed TinyDNS, I hard coded their
DNS server as secondary to my internal DNS Cache and TinyDNS.

John

=======================================
Work:       http://www.olgclotteries.com
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            888-345-7568 ext. 2205

Personal:   http://www.mullan.ca
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MSN:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=======================================

                      Stephen Lee

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       Leaf-user
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      >                        cc:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                               Subject:  Re: [leaf-user] Bell Business
Internet service and LEAF
                      28-01-2003 04:27

                      PM

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 08:48, Stephen Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 05:46, John Mullan wrote:
> > I have set up Bering on Bell DSL.  Following the user guide works
pretty
> > straight forward.  However, when it came to using the username/password
for
> > connection, there was a point I wasn't aware of and it made the
difference
> > between connecting and not connecting.
> >
> > There are two files where to enter this information.  From work here, I
> > cannot recall but I believe it is in the Modules -> PPPoE setup.  One
file
> > you enter the various possible logins you could use (ie;
> > username/password).  The other is where you indicate which username you
> > wish to login with.  Other than that, the preconfigured defaults worked
> > fine for me.
>
> Are you refering to both menu items under "pppoe configuration files"
> corresponding to /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
> respectively? I take it then that Bell uses PPPoE with PAP?

One other thing ;-) What did you adjust in the "ISP Login Script" for
the PPP module? Do I need to enter a phone number?

Thanks for your help!
Stephen