Ray/Charles,

I was afraid you'd both still point to the TCP/IP settings of the Exchange
box as the cause for the failure. I had thought that scanning a range of
ports was to check if it was open. But it looks like my assumption was
wrong. It checks for responses and obviously the scanner isn't getting a
proper response from port 25. What layer does the scanning work on? Layer 3
or higher (especially the application layer?) of the OSDI model?

Since this Exchange box is active, I cannot change the IP settings until
after hours. I also would need to change the MX record settings on our
external DNS server. I wonder if there's a neat trick one can do to ensure
no loss of email during this phase? For example, I could create a new MX
record for the Dachstein router leaving the original MX record in place but
assigning a different priority to the new MX record. When external mail
server checks for MX records, they would attempt to contact our mail server
with the first MX setting and failing that, check the next MX record and
find the mail server active at that MX record. Does this make sense? Is this
do-able? Should the MX record contain the name of the router port-forwarding
the mail to the Exchange box instead the name of the Exchange box?

Thanks for all of your help!

~Doug