-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Matt Schalit
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 12:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [leaf-user] Update: Short term LEAF project goals

This is an unofficial message to let folks know what
the short term goals are for the LEAF project, the hot
topics being developed, just in case you're not monitoring
the leaf-devel list.  I wasn't asked to write this, but I figured it'd
might help a bit.  Please toss in your comments if you'd like.  More
communication is welcome.

LEAF is a loose collection of kind people who share a common interest in
embedded Linux.  There's no top-down organization here, per se, but
rather the following ideas are what people are most excited about and
working on.

They are listed in an order that likely denotes their place in our
unoffical roadmap.  The point here being that it'd be tough to build a
GUI admin system when you know there's a new package system coming out
shortly:

  1) Central configuration database
  2) Central package repository
  3) New package system
  4) GUI preconfig
  5) GUI admin

Central Configuartion Database
================================
   This is a way of storing the variables and values that make your LEAF
box unique, like your IP addresses, in one single location and making a
new command, perhaps leaf-cdb, that is used to access the db.  Values
like IP, netmask,and hostname that are common across packages will be
listed once.  No more entering the same data 5 times across 5 packages!
The current idea is to use a stucture similar to the linux /proc set of
subdirectories.  Another idea is to burp that structure out of an xml
database, perhaps stored remotely.  Simplicity is a main goal of this
project, a goal that contrasts with XML to some extent, but XML may be
essential for GUI admin.

Central Package Repository
===========================
   No more looking all over our website for packages.
All of them will now be stored in a single repository.
Probably still fat16 with 8.3 filenames.  Not sure.

New Package System
==================
   A new package system would use the new central-db to get it's values
from.  We are interested in making the packages a LOT smarter and making
it possible to load them from remote locations.  A smart package
contains a manifest of all it's variables and all possible values,
offering that information to and incorporating those into the
central-db.  The run-time files that each package uses, the ones we
customize nowadays like /etc/dnscache/env/IP, will be generated at boot
time in the future, similarly to the way the /etc/rc?.d directories are
generated on the fly now.  This packaging system will require each
package to provide a template of it's dynamic files.  Templates are like
mad-libs.  You get the values out of the db, and once you fill them in,
it's funny.

GUI Pre-rollout Config
======================
   We are thinking it'd be cool, if you wanted to, to download a fat CD
of everything LEAF on it, burn the thing, and use it to build yourself a
custom LEAF floppy.  You'd do this before you rollout that floppy to the
LEAF box.  You could save your changes. You could upgrade to a new LEAF
version seamlessly.  We could make the pre-config program a Java GUI, a
Python GUI, or a Web/Cgi thing. This is very dependant on new packages
and a new central-db.

GUI Admin
===========
   Everyone likes how weblet can show us information, but can we use it
to administer our LEAF boxes?  A lot of people would like to do
something like that.  But weblet/cgi requires a lot of shell scripts on
the LEAF box.  Plus there are security and space concerns.  We are far
away from settling anything on this or choosing the best app to use, but
I have suggested a Java app rather than a weblet based approach.  Python
has also been suggested.

   Now the more capable one makes the GUI, the more it increases
exponentially in complexity to build and use.  We'll have to make
sacrifices and assumptions about how easy this should be for users. Some
tough decisions!

   But, if we used XML as the foundation of our central-db, then a Java
or Python app could query that XML and generate the admin pages on the
fly.  No more changing the GUI because ntpdate added another variable.
The GUI would just be written to create the fields and field-value
options that the XML database told it to, on the fly. If the ntpdate
package starts with a properly written manifest, everything else is
automatic!

That deserves a tiny w00t w00t.

okey naw,
matthew