S Mohan wrote:
I'd also suggest a change in lrp packaging by which the modules required
for a package to run is bundled with the lrp. Installing the lrp will
also insmod the module automatically. A depmod kind of facility will
make it easy to use/ configure LEAF.

Give me an example please of a package that requires
you to go out and find a .o module you need.

Fwiw, dependancies are very much a fundamental part of the
new package system.  If you change, by hand or by script,
your ip address for example, the built in dependancy checking
"triggers" all packages that use the ip address to restart,
in the correct order, and reread their configs.

I just finished seeing monowall and the screenshots are great. It is
just what I had in mind and Eric Wolzak has asked for ideas too. The
monowall interface encapsulates most requirements. It may do good to
invite Michael - the monowall author to participate here.

Link to a screenshot?

Apart from what has been listed below, the GUI must have a webmin like
definition to allow authors to write new package screens easily and
confirm to a standard. If this is done, then changing themes will change
the look and feel across all packages.

Thanks for the comments.  One idea was that the package
author completely describes all the variables and possible
choices, then the "new package screen" is generated dynamically.

Given a program written in Java or Python, which may be preferable
because they can access drives and do other secure transactions
much easier than a web script ever could, everyone would need to
learn those if they wanted to code their own custom "new package
screens."

Because that's not gonna happen, the idea for dynamic config pages
seems more appealing.  If the package author wants more latitude in
design, a highly laudable goal, then I'm not adverse to adding whatever
functionality is within reason.  The joy here is that I can to
tremendously powerful things with Java, in no time and very easily,
simply because it is mature.

We also need to look at SSL support if web based administration is
contemplated.
Mohan

Java has ssh support built in.  The LEAF system requirements
are:  sshd.lrp.   That presents a space issue for any single
floppy rollout, our classic format.

cheers,
matthew