From:   Ray Olszewski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tuesday, February 25, 2003 12:51 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [leaf-user] DMZ question Bering 1.1

At 12:11 PM 2/25/2003 -0600, Troy Aden wrote:
>My set up is as follows:
>
>Internet ----> eth0 -192.139.*.* - ISP's DNS resolves to
>http://eros.myisp.com
>Eth0 ----> eth1 =(LOC zone)- 192.168.1.26 LOC windows box
>Eth0 ---> eth2 =(DMZ  zone)- 192.168.2.26 DMZ Linux server
>
>I have my rule set set up so that my loc zone can connect to my DMZ.
>Now for my question:
>Is there a way I can set this up so that I can connect from my loc zone
>windows client
>to my web server in my DMZ with http://eros.myisp.com
><http://eros.myisp.com>  as opposed to having to connect
>to it with http://192.168.2.26 <http://192.168.2.26> ?
>Am I missing something in my configuration? Or is this the way things
should
>be?

Whether your LAN host "should be" able to connect to your DMZ Web server
depsends on many things, involving both how you handle DNS and how your
rules are set up. But before any of this matters, the
URL  http://eros.myisp.com needs to be resolvable in and of itself ...
which it is not, as of about 5 minutes ago, from here:

         [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ host eros.myisp.com
         eros.myisp.com does not exist, try again
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

Once that works, it is mainly a matter of making sure that your LAN clients
resolve the address correctly to your secret external address. Someone
expert in Shorewall can comment on any specific ruleset issues; I can tell
you that my Linux-based router here (not Bering/Shorewall) has no
difficulty doing what you want yours to do.