-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Ronny Aasen
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 7:34 AM
To: leaf
Subject: [leaf-user] reduce load on a bering box

hello

due to unforseen circumstances. we had to replace a hp routerswitch with
a linux bering router.

this router now routes 4096 real addresses with some 2500-3000 computers
some natted behind other firewalls)

4 nicks 100 mbit, with eth0 to a 20 mbit link to the internet. and runs
zebra and ospfd

but.
i have noticed that if i have shorewall up, the load gets quite high,
and i also have a few packetdrops.

with shorewall down i have 0 load and no packet drops.

i need to filter/firewall between the 4 nic's to avoid forwarding
rfc1918 packets to default gw, and filter access to the router itself.
evrything else is go

i guess a few manual iptables entries is a solution, but a shorewall
config to minimise load would be preferable.

can the bering 1.2 kernel be optimized for better performance in such a
situation ?

any thoughts ?

mvh
Ronny Aasen