On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 19:45, Robert Coffman - Info From Data Corporation
wrote:
> I'm not sure I can help with this, but I'd love to know what hardware you
> are running this on.
>
> Actually, I'd love to hear anyone's input on the capacities of their Bering
> boxes, what they are doing with them, and what hardware they run on.
>
> - Bob Coffman

well this was a emergency so i threw in whatever i had laying around.

so this box is currently a
duron 1200 mhz with 4 unex nicks (rtl based)
it's the cheapest possible in norway atm :P
it had 128 mb ram yesterday, but i increased it to 512mb donight.
i increased the ram becouse of ip_conntrack. the default
ip_conntrack_max on a 512 mb box is 32xxx i'v incresed it to 999999
since i reach 32xxx in a few hours...

and it handled the load quite nice.

it's a bering1.2 and boots on a m-system iDOC (flashdisk with ide
interface) highly recomended. since it's no moving parts.

all my secondary routers (with tc and ospfd) are built on this mashine.
but the traffic on these is not so high.

my personal wish list for this box would be
-ip_conntrack_timeout somewhere in proc
-module the entire ip_conntrack so one could insmod in pre shorewall
start and rmmod in post shorewall stop. (is this feasible at all ? )

it will probably be replaced with a p4 2.8ghz 512 gb ddr333 and 3c905
nics when the parts arrive.

any tips on increasing thruput, packet forwarding rate, and reducing
latency while keeping the box secure is apriciated.

and if you have questions, just ask, this list as always helped me in
the past :)

--
Ronny Aasen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>