At 06:24 PM 12/10/2003 +0100, and hansen wrote:
[...]
sorry my poor layout, but i use a stupid web mail.
as i have written before, my connection rightnow
written this mail, i use macos with dhcp enablet
"so im using a cable connection"
i know i´t not a real fixt IP but i get, the same
IP always, ok

OK. What matters here is that the MacOS connection uses DHCP. THat gets rid of the PPPoE red herring, and it keeps us away from static assignment.The corresponding capability on Linux/LEAF is provided using a DHCP client like pump or dhclient. In going back over your last message, it seems that it is reporting an unsuccessful attempt to use pump to get an IP address.

So ... why is it failing? The usual suspects:

1. Your ISP uses MAC-address authentication and it associates the MAC address in your MacOS machine with your account. The only way to check (and fix) this is to ask them (it's not a Linux question -- the same problem would occur exchanging a Windows host for the Mac host -- so they should give you an answer.)

2. When you try to connect your Linux machine, your MacOS DHCP lease is still in force, and the ISP will not assign two IP addresses to your line. If this is it, you need to release your MacOS lease before trying to get a Linux lease. (I don't know MacOS so cannot tell you how to do this; ask on a MacOS list.)

3. Shorewall is incorrectly configured and blocks the DHCP request or reply. This appears not to be the case in the setup you report (assuming eth0 is your external interface); this rule in the eth0_in chain covers the problem:

0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpts:67:68

4. Some oddity specific to pump causes it not to work with your ISP's DHCP server. I've seen trouble reports that seem to end up here, but never solutions in cases where this arises. If you get to this possibility, you'll need to run a connection attempt with a packet sniffer (e.g., tcpdump) on the external interface to see what is actually going back and forth.

5. There is some physical problem between the LEAF router and the ISP ... a bad Ethernet cable, or a problem in the modem, or whatever. With the successful MacOS connection, are you using the same equipment external to both it and the LEAF router? If not, try doing so.

6. There is a hardware problem in the LEAF router (most likely the NIC). If this is the same setup that previously worked with the PPPoE connection, we can rule this one out. But if there were any changes, review them.

One last thought: since you "get, the same IP always, ok", try assigning it as a static address to the LEAF router's external interface. See if that works ... even just as a test, it will be informative.

PS - Even with a "stupid web mail" connection, your replies would be easier to read if you used standard English spellings, capitalization, and punctuation. I doubt the Web interface, no matter how "stupid" it is, really prevents your doing so.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials. Become an expert in LINUX or just sharpen your skills. Sign up for IBM's Free Linux Tutorials. Learn everything from the bash shell to sys admin. Click now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id78&alloc_id371&op=click ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html