At 07:20 PM 2/21/2004 +0000, joah moat wrote:

I am too old to surrender now ... :) Well, let's see. I will be more specific with my configuration. I have a D-link 670 PCMCIA card with an extended bot (for plugin) on the top PCMCIA port. I have a 3com 589 PCMCIA card with a doggle (for plugin) on the bottom PCMCIA port.

I have placed module 3c589_cs.o and this is required for the 3com card.

The D-Link 670 card requires pcnet_cs.o module. This module is dependant upon crc32.o which is dependant upon 8390.o (the last two modules I have set for the kernel to load) and the pcnet_cs.o and 3c589_cs.o module I have set for the PCMCIA package to load.

lsmod returns:

Module                             Size  Used by               Not tainted
3c589_cs                         8584     1
ds                                   6772     2  [3c589_cs]
i82365                           27184     2
pcmcia_core                   41248      0 [3c589_cs ds i82365]
softdog                            1508      1
ip_nat_irc                         2128      0  (unused)
ip_nat_ftp                         2736     0  (unused)
ip_conntrack_irc                2864     1
ip_conntrack_ftp                3472     1
8390                                5784     0   (unused)
crc32                                2648     0  [8390]

The 3com card always tries to init as eth0 (no matter if I have it connected to my network or connected to my cable modem).

If I remove the 3com card and leave the D-link card in and connect the D-link card to the cable modem, then reboot: The D-link lights up with a dhcpcd connection and the led lights up.

I have tried to obtain dhcpd server from the d-link card (as eth1). (ps returns that dhcpd -q is running.) I have tried connecting with windows XP and windows 98 and my ibook but to no avail.

[rest deleted]

Please understand that I am not familiar with the NIC you are using. But even so, I can offer a couple of observations.

First, the order in which the interfaces get created is the order in which their modules appear in /etc/modules (or, in your case, probably the order in which the pcmcia package loads them). So if the 3c589_cs module loads first, that will make the 3Com card eth0 and the other eth1. To change this, change the order in /etc/modules (or the functional equivalent for the pcmcia package).

Second, you say you are using pcnet_cs for the second card ... but the lsmod output you quote doesn't show it on the list. This certainly implies a problem in your setup; I am surprised that you see an eth1 at all on this boot/init, without the required module having loaded. Please make sure that pcnet_cs actually loads and that, in "lsmod", 8390 lists it in the "used by" column.

BTW, I don't know what order things load in. Is it possible that the modules in /etc/modules load *after* the ones in pcmcia? If so, pcnet_cs will fail to load because the other modules it depends on have not loaded yet. (If this is happening, there probably is a message about it in the dmesg buffer; read it with the command "dmesg".)

More basically ... I'd suggest that instead of supplying fragments of the information needed for troubleshooting, you provide it all in a single message, and make sure all the config details are from the *same* boot/init that shows the problems you report. The details we'd want to see are:

        unedited output of "lsmod"
        unedited output of "ip addr show"
        unedited output of "netstat -nr"
        unedited output of "ping a.b.c.d"
                where a.b.c.d is the eth1 address shown by the ip command

I also believe you have previously said that the D-Link 670 DOES work in this same PC under some version of Windows. Please confirm or correct this understanding as well.

I cannot be certain, but I believe you are focusing on the wrong thing in dhcpd. It *appears* that the problem is that your eth1 interface does not work at all, and using dhcpd is an inefficient way to troubleshoot that. Instead, manually assign a suitable static address to a LAN client, and see if the LEAF router can ping it. If not, please report

        the unedited output of the ping command
        before -AND- after the ping test, the unedited output of
                more /proc/net/arp

For more guidance on how to report info for troublshooting, please read the SR FAQ.