Nachman Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
I'd like to implement a VPN at work (seems to be the in thing to do); I don't
really so much want encryption (but I'll take it :-) as better user
authentication (right now, I use TCP Wrappers and firewall rules to keep out
undesireables; this is becoming more and more unworkable as folks wish to
connect  with dynamic IP addresses). Right now, I have Bering V1.0-RC2 running
off a floppy (love that firewall!) and a Mandrake box on the interior.

Primary criterion: ease of setup on the admin's part. :-)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd highly suggest OpenVPN - it's easy enough to set up, and well supported by the developer (and it also comes with an installer for windows clients, which makes setting things up under Windows a piece of cake). The only downside is (IMHO) that it only runs on Windows 2000 or XP (of course, it runs on every linux plattform I've tried it on). And it seems to be a bit more CPU intensive than IPSEC (tried it on a head-to-head comparison on a pretty slow box) but unless you're running a VPN over a 10MBit link, it should make no difference. Plus OpenVPN is _much_ easier to use over NATed connections.

I maintain the lrp for Bering uClibc, but I'm afraid I don't know how current the version for Bering is.

HTH

Martin

--
You think that's tough?  Try herding cats!