Hi,

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:32:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: jeremy rubia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: leaf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [leaf-user] LEAF Theory of Operation
>
> Hi to all,
>
> I had been browsing and searching all docs in this
> archive and including the leaf homepage but still cant
> find what i want.
> Just want to know on where can i find a document that
> explains the theory of operation of LEAF.

>From experience, LEAF is one of the most documented opensource
projects that I know of. Anyways, basically, LEAF is a Linux
Firewall (and service/s package) on a floppy disk project.
Theories in-practise are:

 - boot off a Linux Firewall (and server,etc) OS from a floppy
   disk
 - floppy disk simply contains compressed images (tgz'd images)
 - compressed images are exploded on ram disk to make up the
   entire Linux fs
 - changes made in config settings are backed up by compressing
   (tgz'ing) volatile fs files on ramdisk back to image format,
   then copied back to the floppy disk

note that the floppy disk target has now evolved in many forms.
many people are also using CDROMS (no backup or backup is done
on other media), Compact Flash, MTDs, etc.

HTH - vic

---