Jon

At 14:55 13.07.2004 +0200, you wrote:

>> >kernel, you may want to have a look

>> >Great! (that would be: http://www.think.ch/leaf/styx/2.4.24/)
>> >
>> >I'm getting linux-2.4.24.tar.gz "as we speak". Later I'm gonna have a look
>> >at the rest of the stuff over there, and figure out what else I need to
>> >mimic the linux-2.4.20 + (J. Nilo -patches) + (J. Anastasov -patches) that
>> >I have already.
>>
>> Don't know about J. Anastasov's patches, my environment basically is for
>> keyboardless environment and OpenSwan 1.03 (already outdated but should
>> easily move to 1.06)
>
>Anastasov has a patchset for 2.4.24
>(http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/routes-2.4.24-9.diff)
>so that should be OK.
>
>> >Tomorrow morning will be config/compile time.
>
>Yeah, right... Nothing ever turns out like I plan it, it seems :P
>
>Anyway, I compiled a 2.4.24 from kernel.org src. This boots fine and, even
>better, lets me mount the harddisk. So now at least *that's* 'out of the
>way' :)
>
>Next step is to get the 'Bering patches' applied.
>
>> Look into the Makefile it's easy to extend if you like it.
>
>Indeed this looks nice. Sadly I don't fully understand what's going on :P

If you have specific questions, shoot.

>Am I correct in assuming that the whole idea is that you can build
>everything by just issuing 'make' in $CWD ?

Theoretically speaking yes, I still do it in a few steps

'make patched'  _should_ produce a patched linux source directory
'make image'  builds a compressed linux kernel
'make modules'  well...... modules
'make modules_install'   places the modules in a tree under $CWD/modules

for the userland stuff see below

>Should this work in debian_woody-UML? (I see references to slink...)

You beat me there, I am a coward when it comes to UML. I do all my compiles on my SuSE
8.2++ server, which does not really have a console. So for compiling userland stuff I
just chroot into Jacques' old slink filesystem.

cheers
Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16