Hello cpu,

This is a strange message:
"insmod: not an ELF file"
Can you run insmod from the command line?

"errors out here because /lib/modules is not in my path
 and it's trying to load the ipsec executable.
 Should /lib/modules be in the path (presumably the start)?"

Insmod looks at /lib/modules/<kernel version> and /lib/modules so no
need to have it in your path, it should find the modules.

I understand you builded your own kernel, what exactly did you
change? Did you make more changes in other packages?
It looks like there is something (serious) wrong with your setup. Do
you have a /lib/modules/2.4.29/ directory?

I would suggest to also try it with the standard kernel and packages
to pinpoint the exact problem.

Eric Spakman

Okay... I still think something is wrong. This is what
/etc/init.d/ipsec start is doing:

ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 1.0.9...
insmod: not an ELF file
insmod: Could not load the module: Success
ipsec_setup: Using ipsec
ipsec_setup: Using /lib/modules/ipsec.o

_startklips has this line somewhere in the middle:

# load module if possible
if test ! -f $ipsecversion
then
    # statically compiled KLIPS not found; try to load the module
    insmod ipsec
fi
     ^

      --- errors out here because /lib/modules is not in my path
          and it's trying to load the ipsec executable.
          Should /lib/modules be in the path (presumably the start)?

The following 'if' statement has this:

test -r /lib/modules/ipsec.o && insmod /lib/modules/ipsec.o

And this is where the module loads successfully.

The entire block of statements:

# load module if possible
if test ! -f $ipsecversion
then
    # statically compiled KLIPS not found; try to load the module
    insmod ipsec
fi

if test ! -f $ipsecversion
then
        if test -r $modules             # kernel does have modules
        then
#               setmodule
#               unset MODPATH MODULECONF        # no user overrides!
#               depmod -a >/dev/null 2>&1
#               modprobe -v ipsec
        test -r /lib/modules/ipsec.o && insmod /lib/modules/ipsec.o
        fi
        if test ! -f $ipsecversion
        then
                echo "kernel appears to lack KLIPS"
                exit 1
        fi
fi

Observation: why is 'if test ! -f $ipsecversion' tested twice?

Conclusion: I have commented out 'if...insmod ipsec' and ipsec_aes.o
is
now loaded/unloaded through prepluto=/postpluto= in ipsec.conf. -cpu