Tom,
I followed your suggestion but no result.
I am a little farther however. It seems that the entry is blocked via
the RFC1918 rule list as the error is logdrop:

Apr 15 15:54:15 renault Shorewall:logdrop:DROP: IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=00:01:02:0c:f0:b1:00:05:5f:eb:38:8d:08:00 SRC=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=60 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=62 ID=38469 CE DF
PROTO=TCP SPT=46244 DPT=22 SEQ=1930172565 ACK=0 WINDOW=5840 SYN URGP=0

My rules are:

#ACTION  SOURCE         DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE
ORIGINAL
#                                               PORT    PORT(S)    DEST
#       Accept DNS connections from the firewall to the network
#
ACCEPT          fw              net             tcp     53
ACCEPT          fw              net             udp     53
ACCEPT          fw              net:nic.lth.se  tcp
ACCEPT          fw              net             udp     37,123
#
#       Accept SSH connections from the local network for administration
#
ACCEPT          loc             fw              tcp     22,20,21
#       Accept external SSH connection from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Mark)
ACCEPT          net:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx      fw      tcp     22
ACCEPT          fw      net:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx      tcp
#
#       Allow Ping To And From Firewall
#
ACCEPT          loc             fw              icmp    8
ACCEPT          net             fw              icmp    8
ACCEPT          fw              loc             icmp    8
ACCEPT          fw              net             icmp    8
#
# Bering specific rules:
# allow loc to fw udp/53 for dnscache to work
# allow loc to fw tcp/80 for weblet to work
#
ACCEPT          loc       fw            udp     53
ACCEPT          loc       fw            tcp     80
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

The strange thing is also that, although a ping from the net to the
firewall is allowed, the firewall cannot be pinged (that rule was in the
original RULES-file).
The firewall works perfectly from all local systems, I can ping from the
firewall and access the ntp-server but controlled access to the firewall
is a problem. Can it be that the iptables is misconfigured and do you
have any suggestions?
I need this access as we want to setup a radius-server on both ends with
equal certificates, etc. and my radius knowledge is very low.
(I will make a backup as soon as the problem is solved as I work memory
only and the firewall is already up for 60 days).
Hope you can give some clues.
Joep