Eric & Arne:

I finally got both QEMU and VDE built and fired up a generic LEAF Router
in QEMU. It seems very fast! I could not find how to add Ethernet ports
in the man page and html docs. The only place I could find it was using
"qemu -h". Apparently, the man page and HTML haven't been updated in a
while.

I haven't begun using VDE yet. Once I get the VMs running I'll tackle
that.

Thanks for the help getting QEMU built. The CVS source is the key if you
want to use the accelerator. Building it was more complicated than it
needed to be, though, mostly because of the instructions on the QEMU web
site. They assume you're using the CVS tree, but the download source
doesn't match. The directions in the CVS tree assume too much also.

Anyway, I've spend the last few days trying to get a QEMU virtual IDE
disk to boot. It's easy enough to create, but two glaring problems pop
right up. 1) It cannot be mounted with fstype "msdos" as with the LEAF
floppy images, and 2) It will not boot. It hangs at the initial startup
with "Booting from Hard Disk" message. I've posted a query on the QEMU
users forum, but no one is answering. I can't afford to spend more time
on that right now so I'm proceeding with a 2-floppy setup in QEMU. You
can view the article here:

http://m2.dad-answers.com/qemu-forum/viewtopic.php?t=596

If anyone has any suggestions for this problem I'm all ears.

--Cal Webster