From: Erich Titl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 11:50 AM
To: Tibbs, Richard
Cc: LEAF Users
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Logging route table actions

Tibbs, Richard wrote:
> Oh, yes it does log route adds/deletes...
> What I was hoping for was ip route table "verbosity", so that I could
> see if and when bering was dropping packets silently.
>
> Situation is this: I have a Bering 1.2 firewall in my office on campus
> connected to the campus network. All campus routers run IGRP.
Everything
> works fine on the office fw, without a routing protocol.
> However, I take the same fw into the networks lab and put it behind
> another cisco router, and I can't get past the lab gateway router
(cisco
> 2621) which in turn connects to the campus network.
>
> The lab gw router runs ripv2.

Unless you are running zebra it should not matter.

Can't understand why I have no internet
> access from the internal net behind the firewall. Nor can I ping
beyond
> the lab gw rtr.
>
> Both the campus routers and lab gw router have massive ACLs. I and a
lab
> tech (with CCNA) have put the lab gw rtr into several debug modes, and
> can't see anything dropped. Assumption is it must be something with
the
> firewall.

Did you look on the Bering box itself?

> Ascii art:
>                                CampusNet
> NetworksLab --- lab-gw-rtr --- .192 subnet --- office
>    |                                             |
> lab fw                                       office fw

OK a few stupid questions....

You did change the network address when moving to the lab ;-(
Are you NATing?

> Any suggestions?

As always,

- use tcpdump on Bering to see the packet flow. If you see outgoing
packets, but no incoming, then look at routing/firewalling uplink of
your installation.

- look at the shorewall logs

- decide if incoming packets have an originator which can be replied to.

cheers
Erich