Does this problem have anything to do with shorewall? Shorewall seems to startup without a problem and everything else runs fine. It's only ipsec that can't find a default route.
I thought inetd may be responsible. Not that I know anything much about it.

At 08:24 AM 30/09/2005, you wrote:
Richard Saunders wrote:
> Is it possible just to insert a pause somewhere in the startup scripts
> to wait for ppp0
> to come up before continuing?

You could place a pause/check loop in /etc/shorewall/init. Or, better
yet, configure Shorewall so that it doesn't require ppp0 to be up when
it starts.

-Tom
Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]