Two users replied to me (not sure if they also replied to the list)
indicating my problem with iptables was due to not loading a needed
module.  I edited /etc/modules and added

! dir /lib/modules/2.4.32/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter
ipt_CONNMARK

near the bottom, after I mount my cdrom and before I unmount it, and
that got me a bit further down the path.  Some of the Shorewall
examples load OK now, but some still do not.  Worse and more to the
point, the examples that load don't seem to be sustaining the mark for
the given traffic bucket i.e. 130 is my default class, and 150 is my
p2p class:

qdisc sfq 130: dev eth0 parent 1:130 quantum 1514b limit 128p flows
128/1024 perturb 10sec
 Sent 18703103 bytes 15710 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

qdisc sfq 150: dev eth0 parent 1:150 quantum 1514b limit 128p flows
128/1024 perturb 10sec
 Sent 1342 bytes 11 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

I'm at a loss, something clearly isn't working, and even just using
the most simple rules and trying to have the connection marked
persistently doesn't seem to work, either.

-- Bob