> >I just upgraded from b2 to b3 and it seems too easy.  Is this really
> >all there is to it?
> >
> Yes, could be even easier, see below ;)
>
> >* Modify initrd.lrp, adding ide-related modules
> >
> You can also download the initrd_ide.lrp package, rename it to initrd.
> lrp and use that one. Instead of modifying the package yourself.

Ah, I didn't think to look in packages.  But when I used that package
for b2 I had to add ext2.o to it (since my partitions are ext2).  I
don't think that module belongs in the distributed package, so I have
to customize it anyway.

> >And it just works.  Without running 'apkg -u', which I though was
> >necessary.  If I were using a floppy instead of a CF card half the
> >steps would have been unnecessary.
> >
> Apkg -u is meant to update a few packages without the need to reboot,
> or if the config file of a package has changed in an uncompatible way
> upstream and you need some user intervention. But your method of
> booting with the previous configdb also works in most cases and can
> be easier with a full update.

What happens when "the config file of a package has changed in an
uncompatible way" and you reboot without having run apkg -u?  Does
that one package fail to load?  Is it possible you'd see no errors
until some mis-configured feature of some package was needed?

Thanks,

--Eric
* From the desktop of: Eric House, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        *
*        Crosswords 4.1.4 for PalmOS now ARM-native: xwords.sourceforge.net  *