Thanks Eric,

I forgot that mount was being provided by busybox.  Thats probably
exactly the problem. :)  You're right, I should be specifying the
filesystem type if it's important, but hey, I'm lazy :)  The fstab
option is probably the best answer, assuming this is a limitation of
busybox.  I was going on the assumption that if Debian mount can do it
(I don't have fstab entries for my usb drives), then bering-uclibc
should to.  But I'd rather have the small footprint of busybox then the
full feature set of a real mount for this stuff.  Configuring an entry
in fstab is a suitable option.  Perhaps an entry like this should be
included in the default fstab provided with the release?

/dev/sda1       /mnt            vfat    noauto  0       0

...Izzy