On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 17:38 +0100, Eric Spakman wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> >I've just been trying to get access to an access point that only allows
> >telnet access.
> >
> >I'm using bering ulibc 2.4.1
> >
> >I installed the netkit telnet pacakge (30 some K)
> >which requires (but does not list that it requires)
> >libcxx (300 some K) and libm (200 some K).
> >
> >That's one heavy telnet package.  And I can't even connect to the access
> >point after all that (I added
> >
> >Telnet/ACCEPT  fw loc
> >
> >to my shorewall rules and there are no errors in the log file - it just
> >times out.
> >
> >I looked around a bit and see that busybox has a built-in telnet...  Any
> >reason that it's not available?
> >
> A few reasons:
> Busybox telnet is a telnet daemon, not a client.
> Telnet is unsafe and almost legacy.
> It's not really a good idea to have a telnet client on a firewall (
> security wise), so adding it by default is a no go.
>
> But why do you want to connect to your accesspoint from the Bering-
> uClibc system instead of from a host pc?

There is no host pc  on this remote network ... just the firewall, an
access point and clients.  So there isn't really another option for me.

According to http://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html ,
there is a telnet client in busybox in addition to the server.
...tee, telnet, telnetd, test, ...

If it's okay to have an ssh client on a firewall, I'm not sure i
understand why it's not okay to have a telnet client.  Surely you don't
want a telnet server.

I don't know much about busybox - but i guess it would be possible to
ship a busybox+ package that replaces the /bin/busybox executable with
one having more features. So you wouldn't have to include it in the
default install.

Brad