Fellow Bering-users,

inspired by comments of Erik Spakman, Nathan
Angelacos,
and Paul Wright, I set out to reconfigure those old
3Com 3c509TP ISA-cards without any recurse to
Microsoft. Successfully I may add, so now you all
can revive some outdated and slower, but nonetheless
funcional adapter cards for unforseen events.

I found a minimal Freedos image at

 http://www.geocities.com/cucnews/freedos.img.tar.gz,

but probably any Freedos boot floppy will do, look at

 www.freedos.org    or   freedos.sourceforge.net,

as I only needed 270kB spare space on the floppy.
The next step was to visit Duisburg:

  ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/Hardware/3com/
         /3C5x9n/3c5X9CFG.EXE

  ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/Hardware/3com/
         /3C5x9n/3C5X9ENG.HLP

Put these two files on the Freedos floppy and you have
an "ncurses kinsman" serving your configuration needs.
The latest Etherdisk available from 3Com seems to
presuppose one Windows system or another, but in
Duisburg you will find older releases too. I fetched
similar tools for 3c59x and 3c90x for future use.
Many other hardware vendors are represented there.
Take a good look folks!

This afternoon I preconfigured five 3c509 boords with
this floppy disk and Bering-uClibc received them with
open arms. Now it only remains to find out a way to
do the reconfiguration by pure linux methods. There
are rumours that this might not be easy.

      Regards
               Mats E Andersson

----

Die Kumpeln in Duisburg ha'n den Lob bestens verdient.